Over three years ago, I compiled a list of easy ways for us all to get more involved in being advocates and agents of change in a movement toward more equity. While my particular focus is on educational equity, these simple suggestions can apply to any kind of activism and (hopefully) can help you get inspired.
In the spirit of inspiration, I’m re-publishing the list in concise form. This is for my students but also for all of us planning the summer months and thinking about how to align our lives even more closely with our values in all that we do.
- Share the Love
- Join a Movement or Organization
- Support on the Smaller Community/Neighbor Level
- Go Big
- Go Small
- Donate Effectively
- Read More & Get Inspired
- Get Involved in Local Politics
- Get Enough Sleep
- Support Parenting People
- Stop Multitasking
- Love Your Library (or other resources)
- Simply Connect
- Articulate your volunteer and social justice work/thinking for your resume or CV.
- Highlight your volunteer and social justice work in a personal statement or cover letter for graduate school or employment.
- Developing a teaching philosophy or a personal/professional philosophy statement.